Thursday 4 October 2012

Red Carpet Shoot at Grimmfest and Preview of Sinister & American Mary



It is sometimes of great amusement to me where work comes from. I replied to an innocuous sort of ad asking for photographers to volunteer to take some shots a film preview. So, I wasn't doing anything, it was a quiet Wednesday night... That "what the hell" thought entered my head.

So I turned up at the allotted time, at Stockport Plaza which is just an amazing theatre! If you are local you MUST go and see the tea room at least.


Within just a few minutes of getting there the flash was already popping away. With a mixture of special guests, competition winners and paying customers the red carpet was an almost constant stream of guests. As a special little note, I would just like to say a big thank you to all those who posed beautifully for me.

If you are there please take a look in our photo gallery and see if you can spot yourself!

As for the films, well, I'm no movie buff so I'm not going to attempt a review. I enjoyed Sinister, it's a great film but the plot seemed a bit obvious to me. Having said that, there are a few serious "jumps" and a couple of scenes where I did almost have to turn away.

American Mary on the other hand was right up my street. A nice dark horror with a fabulously twisted subject matter. I'm not going to give the ending away but the film is a fantastic portrayal of what can happen when a smart med student becomes more desperate for cash than she would like to be!

Big thanks to everyone at Grimmfest for putting this preview night together and I look forward to working with them again soon.

Gear Used
Canon 20d - used in manual mode of course 1/125 - ISO 200 - f5.6
Canon 35-80 - an unusual choice but I wanted something small that I didn't mind getting wet!
Canon 430ez flash - used in manual mode at 1/8th power

No comments:

Post a Comment